Building Regulation Drawings
Want To Start Your HMO Construction Work?
Get Building Control Sign Off With Reliable Building Regulation Drawings
If you’re an aspiring HMO Developer planning to convert a property to an HMO, it’s important to ensure your construction work is done right.
Building Control (BC) ensures all property construction work is carried out according to top industry standards. Not doing so endangers the lives and safety of those working on and living within the property.
The consequence may include:
- The site being stopped by the City Council
- Massive construction issues on site generating delays
- Increase of costs during construction due to unforeseen issues
- Once building control is called on-site by the Council it might demand dismantling part of the completed construction works to examine structural elements, thermal and acoustic insulation and other construction components
To get a smooth Building Control Sign Off and start construction work, you’ll need to supply accurate and detailed Building Regulation Drawings.
Pre-Construction preparation is key for the construction to be completed on budget and on time.
The Solution?- Building Regulation Drawings
Building Regulation Drawings - How It Works
You get in touch with us via our website regarding your HMO Conversion Plans also sending us any existing plans, history of planning decision notices, construction work and details of what changes you’d like to make to the property.
We review all the documentation, local regulations and have a call with you to go through the steps on how we can help you. For example, if your plans are ready for use/conversion. If not, we’ll need to do a Measured Survey to get accurate property measurements.
Based on the plans, we may need to submit a Full Planning Application or can use Permitted Development (PD) Rights.
If you have all of this, we’ll be able to directly proceed with the Building Regulation Drawings.
Once you have a Certificate of Lawful Development or a Planning Decision Notice, based on your construction plans, we act as your pre-construction negotiator, coordinating with all required consultants (e.g. Fire Safety Engineer, Acoustics Engineer, Structural Engineer).
The big benefit of working with us is, instead of having to liaise with 10 different consultants and coordinate all of them individually, you only have to coordinate with us.
We take over all the time-consuming liaisons with the appointed consultants, saving a massive amount of time so you can focus on getting more deals in the pipeline.
Also, finding and vetting consultants is a time-consuming activity that also needs a certain level of expertise.
We have a list of 500 vetted consultants in the UK who are our trusted partners. So our clients are completely hands-off and we take care of everything.
Building Regulation Drawings - Top Questions
What Are Building Regulation Drawings?
They are a set of architectural drawings which contain a higher level of detail than the concept drawings.
The building regulation drawings must show that the design is compliant with the national building regulation guidance. In particular with the different building regulations “PARTs”, a list of requirements named following an alphabetical order and covering different aspects of the construction.
Our Building Regulation Drawings for HMOs include:
- Fire equipment elements (Fire doors, smoke detectors, fire alarms, fire call buttons, heat detectors, fire control panels, fire blankets, emergency lights, Carbon Dioxide Detectors, Escape procedures location)
- Mechanical ventilation extraction points (bathroom ventilation, utility rooms ventilation, kitchen ventilation)
- Boiler and water tank positioning
- Thermal insulation
- Walls build up specifications
- Floors build-up specifications
- Roofs build-up specifications
- Measurements in plans and section
- Gas Meter Location
- Electrical meter location
- Thermostat location
- Some comments to guide the building team on site
Why Do I Need Buiding Regulation Drawings?
Building Regulation Drawings show the Local Building Control Authority (the body responsible for signing off planned construction work) that the work you plan to do is carried out as per the correct Building Code & Regulation.
This is essential to ensure that any construction work is carried out safely and quality/detail of construction is top-notch.
For example, in larger HMOs (Sui Generis Use Class) with 7+ occupants, it’s important to ensure the acoustics requirements have been considered and signed off by a reputed Acoustics consultant.
Similarly for any structural changes (signed off by a structural engineer), party wall changes (party wall surveyor). This gives the Local Authority confidence that you’re a top-quality Landlord who doesn’t cut corners.
How Do I Know If I Need Buiding Regulation Drawings?
You’ll need Building Regulation Drawings if you’re planning to do any non-standard construction work on your property including changing the floorplan, layout etc.
This varies on a case-by-case basis so please speak to us to discuss your specific use case.
What’s Covered In The Building Regulation Drawings?
The Building Regulation Drawings cover everything you need from a technical perspective to get your Construction Plans signed off by the Local Building Control Authority.
We act as your pre-construction negotiator.
These include (but are not limited to)
- Detailed drawings showing all planned construction work on the property for a smooth sign off by Building Control.
- Key considerations and consultant coordination based on specific design and construction plans for e.g. acoustics consultant, party wall surveyor, structural engineer, fire safety engineer.
- Amendments and changes to the drawings as requested by the Building control
Everything your project needs to get signed off by Building Control.
Is This A Paid Service?
How Much Does The Building Regulation Drawings Cost?
Who Pays The Application Fees For The Building Regulation Application?
How Long Does The Building Regulation Drawings Take?
When Should I Get Building Regulation Drawings Done?
We always recommend our clients to get the Building Regulation Drawings done at the Pre-Construction Phase.
Do You Go On-Site To Do The Building Regulation Drawings?
I’m Ready To Start, What Do I Do Next?
- Please click on the Blue Button below to submit your project details via our online form.
- We’ll get in touch to arrange a time to speak that works best for you.
The HMO Lifecycle - Building Regulation Drawings
Why Clients Trust HMO Architect
We are your Architect & Advisor. With over 15 years of experience investing in HMO’s and Buy-to-Let’s ourselves, we’ve made mistakes and learnt from them. Now we want to advise you so you can avoid costly mistakes.
With over 750+ consultations and 150+ HMO projects completed, we have a lot of experience with different HMO projects across the country. We help you creatively optimise space to meet your investment goals.
We are your eyes and ears in interactions with the Council, Builders and External Consultants. We report to to you all the time, every time so you can have complete peace of mind knowing your project is in good hands.
We understand how important time is to you. Whether securing a deal, getting planning permission, or designing the layout, time is money and we try our best to complete your project on time and budget to the highest quality.